Monday, December 15, 2008

Expecting a Miracle - updated...again.

This morning, I read about several miracles that the prophet Elisha performed. They are recorded back-to-back, and it sure looks like he was on a roll. "Death in the stew pot" is probably the most bizarre one - simply because I can't remember ever reading this before. Go check it out in 2 Kings chapter 4. It got me thinking about miracles, and I had an overwhelming sense of expectation this morning. We encounter miracles every day... some big, some little, some noticed, some that seemingly slip by without even a nod of the head. As we were getting ready for the day, I told Rick that I was expecting a miracle today. Bless him - he didn't look at me funny or even slightly quizzically. He just looked at me. Waiting for me to explain. And I can't, not really. I just know there are going to be miracles today. Maybe it's going to be a miracle of the heart. Maybe my heart, finally bursting through some challenges I've been wrestling with. Or maybe someone else's heart. Or our house might sell today. Or Craig's friend Randy might find a job today. Or our friend whose mother is in hospice might find the miracle she's looking for today. So here's what I'm going to do. All day long today, I'm going to watch for miracles. Big, small, they all count. They are unexpected blessings to marvel at. I'll update this blog through the day, as I stumble upon them. You are invited to participate. Email me with your miracles today, and I'll post them as well. I'm a little nervous trying this out, because what if nothing happens today that is extraordinary? I might feel, um... silly putting myself out there. But on the flip side, what if I see miracles all day long? How cool would that be? I already have one to start with. So here goes: Miracle #1. The road to Athens that has been under construction for a year or more was open today. Divided highway all the way to work! No more getting stuck behind a slow car on a 2 lane highway with barricades on both sides. Miracle #2. - 12pm - My friend Shari wrote with a miracle! She feels convicted to save her money so that she can go to Honduras and witness first hand the work going on at the House of Hope. Her creativity in saving/earning the money is fabulous, and I know she's honoring God with her budgeting and saving! For any of us on a budget... that is no small miracle! Miracle #3 - 12:30pm - None too small today... Mother's overly busy oven stopped working this morning, just as a marathon week of baking commences for our Bess family Christmas on Saturday. The miracle is that the repairman called her back and was able to work her in today, instead of Tuesday. It's fixed now, and she won't lose any time in preparing for Christmas! (I personally think this is a HUGE miracle, especially since it affects my tummy!) Miracle #4 - 6pm ish - Visiting with Debbie and praying with Pastor Chris over Sue (Debbie's mom.) - It's always a miracle when God dishes out his grace and comfort in a seemingly impossible situation. Sue opened her eyes and heard our prayers. And then there's something about those angels she sees in the corner of the room... Miracle #5 - 6:30pm - My sister-in-law Carolyn won a WEEK of vacation at her company Christmas Party. From hundreds of names at the Museum, hers was drawn. And she has got to be the hardest working, overworked, most deserving individual I know. A flat out miracle that she won such an awesome gift!!! (Where are we going, sweet sis?) Miracle #6 -10:30pm - Rick made it home after a looooonngggg day working the biggest line break we've had all year at the water company (on the coldest night of the year.) The miracle is that he and Armando safely maneuvered the backhoe out of a quickly forming sink-hole. It sounded pretty dangerous with both of them working in tandem. Thank God they were successful. Miracle #7 - reported 12/16 9am - Craig and Carolyn experienced several miracles last night at an event they hosted at their apartment community. They had numerous spiritual conversations with residents who were open to Christ-centered conversation. They felt like this event was the most successful one that they have had as part of the CARES ministry. Yea! Miracle #8 - reported 12/16 5:30pm - A dear family friend, Glenda, reports her miracle: "No one sees a house, buys it, gets a mortgage loan with preapproval, signs a contract, and chooses ALL the flooring, appliances, etc., in ONE WEEK, let alone 4 days! It just doesn't happen... except in God's timing and in His plan! For us it's a huge miracle. For Him it's just another ordinary day in the life of the Creator!"

No comments: