Thursday, December 11, 2008

Calling in Well

The day started out grand, with my calling in to work "well." I had plans for the day that included: Me and a Book. All day long, I've been trying to get little things done and out of the way so that I can get to the big plans (the book.) Making Collin and Rick breakfast. Done. Cleaning the kitchen. Done. Emptying a file cabinet for Craig to come and pick up. Done. Making the bed. Done. Attending the Chamber luncheon (where Rick retired today as Board Chairman.)Done. Put up a few Christmas decorations. Nah, do it later. Here comes the book... I can almost taste the relaxation, the s-a-n-i-t-y. Ring-Ring, goes the telephone. Time for a change in plans. Craig and his friend are broken down on their way here to pick up the file cabinet. Here we go... Find a mechanic. Tow the car. Pick them up at the mechanic (thank you Rick.) I'll take those few minutes alone to pursue my one goal for the day: READ MY BOOK. That's where I am right now. In lieu of reading, I decided to therapeutically write my blog. In a few moments, we'll load the file cabinet into the back of my car, load Craig and Randy as well, and I'll head to Dallas with my new priority.
Helping my brother.
After an intentional attitude adjustment, I'm reminded... what better way to spend my day off? I'm home. I want to serve. Who am I to decide when and where and who I get to serve.
So... getting to spend time with my brother is a bonus! And, I'll have about an hour of quiet time on the drive home. That's almost as good as reading a book, and perhaps it's what I needed most today.

No comments: