Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Guatemala - Day 1 Update

We are home. Call me Dorothy... but there is truly no place like home. Our goals were: Install a playground for the toddlers at Xela, provide VBS-type activities during the week to the children, and pour out as much love and encouragement we could possibly give to the children. I have no doubt we met our goals. Before Picture... ... And After! It is simply impossible to summarize this trip in one blog, so my goal will be to take you day by day throughout our trip. Today, I'll start with Day 1. Check back tomorrow for the next day's update where I'll take you through the highlights (and low-lights) of each day. Here's Day 1: Saturday Jan 10th Departure Day. It was crazy-busy that morning, tying up loose ends at the office and home. We didn't leave the office until 10pm the night before, and didn't get to bed until around 2am. It was our last night with the boys also, so we were trying to cram alot into those last hours. Morning came early, very early. We met up with the team from Red Dot at the airport early afternoon. Had time to grab a late lunch in the terminal before boarding the 3 hour flight to Guatemala City. This was the first time Rick and I really got to sit down with the team and start getting to know everyone. I remember thinking that we were about to become very close friends with this group, and by the time the trip was completed, we will have shared some very special memories together. The flight was uneventful, with the exception of being delayed on the runway. Upon landing in Guatemala City, we were greeted by Jouleen (our Buckner team leader), Jason (her hysterical boyfriend) and Guili (our talented storyteller/actress from Peru). It was mild chaos meeting them and towing our bags and finding our shuttle bus. We each had a personal suitcase, and then a Buckner suitcase loaded with supplies for the week. One funny thing that happened was during this chaotic scene. A Guatemalan gentleman approached Rick, introduced himself as being part of the Buckner team, and told him to follow him with some of our luggage. He had the pick-up truck parked nearby. Rick, along with another couple of guys from our group followed him and started loading. Everyone else had already boarded the shuttle van, and I was standing outside of it, waiting for Rick's return. All I knew was that he had disappeared with a strange man, and our bags... and hadn't come back. There was no way I was getting on the van without him! I felt mildly panicked... but no one else seemed worried. Finally, Rick showed back up. He said "I have no idea what I just did. I carried all my luggage and put it in the back of his truck. He said 'Gracias' and I walked back to the shuttle. I have NO IDEA if we will ever see our luggage again!" Jouleen reassured us that the gentleman Rick met did, in fact, work for Buckner and we had not been scammed. It was close to midnight before we were able to fall into bed at the hotel. Morning was going to come early, and we would head out on the 4 -5 hour drive to Xela. Check back tomorrow for Day 2.

No comments: