Tuesday, July 22, 2008

It Finally Happened...

Yes, my friends. It finally happened. What I had been warned about, prepared for, and prayed wouldn't happen. An event this mortifying was bound to occur, sooner or later. And yet, I was still praying never. Miracles still occur, you know. I called it faith, but in reality it was more a case of "rose-colored glasses." We were staying in the Farm House last night, continuing our regular Sunday / Monday night stay. And that's where it happened. Where reality woke me up. 1:59am, to be exact, is when the allure of the simple life at the Farm House died a tragic death. Here's a summary of the event: Sound slumber. The slightest tickle on my arm. My eyes flutter open. Horror as I see (gasp!) a roach on my arm. A faint thump resounds against the wall as I fling it off my arm. "HONEY! WAKE UP! IT HAPPENED!" Rick flies out of bed, throws the light on, and assumes battle position. The dog lifts her head, opens one eye, then closes it, lazily deciding she wasn't needed. Rick applies one swift STOMP on the little devil. Then a 2nd and a 3rd. And a 4th for good measure. Whew! My Hero slays the dragon (by this time the roach had grown exponentially.) Sleep does NOT return. With the morning anew, and all creatures of the night pushed back behind enemy lines, I realize that we can look at this event in two different ways. Be sure and vote for they way YOU would look at the events, had it been YOU. Voting is at the top right of my Blog homepage. The "glass half full" approach: I survived the WORST thing that could happen in the Farm House. It happened, I know how it plays out, and I emerged the victor. It's all gravy from here. The "glass half empty" approach: In the past 21 days, we've spent a total of 6 nights in the Farm House. That's 28.5% of our nights. Roughly 1/4 of the total. If I spend every night there in a given week, the logical result would be that on any 2 given nights, I will encounter this nightmare again. Fiddlesticks. I'm not sure I can do this.

No comments: