Monday, July 14, 2008

Audit-Bound


I've spent the last week preparing for our annual Tx Dept of Banking audit at the Cemetery.


Well... I've spent the last week "thinking" about the audit. The physical action didn't really begin until last Thursday. I usually put things off and then kick into gear under the pressure. The Banking Dept comes every 12-18 months for our audit of the Perpetual Care Fund, as well as our operating procedures. You wouldn't believe how closely they look at our records! I used to be nervous - real nervous - about the annual Audit. This is #5 for me, and I've found that this time I'm much more relaxed about it.


Being that I took Friday off (iphone!) the real work didn't begin until Sunday afternoon. Mother met me at the office and we began preparing the folders. She has been so very helpful by keeping up with our "internal audit" on a monthly basis - it really doesn't leave much to check over before Mr. Commissioner arrives. And Shannon had already pulled all the folders, a task that was pretty time consuming. I'm grateful for all the help I can get.


We catalogued the folders, completed official Board Minutes, and searched for Stock Certificates (found them, whew!). Then the fun began for me to go through our Trust Fund statements for the past year. It's difficult understanding all of the investments and capital gains and reinvested dividends - I've never claimed to be a "numbers" gal. Truly, it's like Greek.


I fumbled my way through and finally felt like I had a handle on everything.


Rick got to Athens last night about 9:30pm, so that was my call to hang it up for the night. We are continuing to settle in at the Farm House, little by little. Last night was the first night we actually cooked over there. Rick's famous "mac and 'maters" filled our tummies and we watched a movie.


Fell into bed well after midnight. The GREAT thing about staying at the Farm House is that I can sleep until 8:30am and still be at work at 9am. No commute is fantastic!

The Audit is tomorrow. I'll spend the rest of the day tying up loose ends. We're spending the night over here again tonight, so it will be convenient to work late and arrive in the office early.

Crossing my fingers...


No comments: