Thursday, November 20, 2008

Granddad and Uncle Sam

I caught myself thinking of Granddad today. And because I only knew him as a child, my memories are particulary child-like: - His socks were thin and almost see-through. Black with stripes. Like hose. - I don't think I ever saw him without a necktie on. - Candy. Always candy. (He's to blame for my addiction to Almond Joys.) - $1.00 for eating everything on my plate. - $1.00 if I'd jump off the diving board without holding my nose. (Heck, I won't even do that as a grown up!) - Prunes. Don't ask! And... - Uncle Sam. In the picture above, you can see an Uncle Sam bank sitting on the credenza behind Granddad. That's the main thing I remember seeing in Granddad's office here at Oaklawn. Granddad always taught us kids to save our money. And he'd let us put a coin in Uncle Sam's hand, push the button, and we'd watch it fall into his bag (the bank.)

What's really cool is that Rick and I are carrying on two of the businesses that Granddad started, the water company and the cemetery. And all right here in the same building that he officed from. I'm pretty certain that I will always fall short of Granddad's business sense. Sometimes it's hard running a business, especially when I don't really consider myself business-smart. But what I do know, without a doubt, is that he loved me SO much. There's a certain soft spot a girl always has for her Granddad. And since I was the only granddaughter, I like to think he spoiled me more than the boys. Uncle Sam now sits on my desk at the office.

And when I look at him, I am reminded of the values that Granddad believed in: Personal Integrity, Honesty, Financial Savings, Honoring God with all our resources, Being active in church... It almost seems like that generation is gone, and with it are the values they believed in. I think that if we all lived like our grandparents lived, the world would be a better place. I wish I could have one more day with Granddad. I don't think I would want it to be with me as an adult, getting to know him from a grown-up perspective. I'd much rather be a little girl again, sitting on his lap.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Way back there in 1958 your grandfather had a dream for a community cemetery which would be beautiful and perpetual. He worked out the business plan and located it on his ranch. Oaklawn Memorial Park was open for business!

I was a Missouri boy in high school at that time. Your mom was the Athens daughter who helped plant those original Live Oaks.

Of course, your Grandmother Rose Bush was there to keep the books and greet the first customers in the back door foyer of the old homeplace.

And you, Kristen? Later you came along making yourself at home in Granddad's lap. Neat picture of you both. And a great photo of his office with Uncle Sam in the background.

But the neat part about this still unfolding saga is that YOU were the chosen one destined to lead his favorite company. As owner and GM of the company, YOU are keeping his dream alive and continuing his ministry to this community.

You do it all so well! Congrats and thanks from the second generation to the third. Your mom and I are proud of you!