Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Oh, the frustrations...

I look forward to writing about our days in Guatemala after the Carnival, as we still had work to do at other locations. And there are some really neat things that occured that I can't wait to write about. But it's not going to happen today. I need a moment to vent about Grouchy People. Why, oh why, do some people feel the need to be mean, rude, and downright ugly? With our businesses (Merchant Services, Residential Water Distribution, and a Cemetery) I have encountered a handful of these people. They can be Adverse, Severe, and Savage. (Commonly known by the abbreviation A.S.S's.) For the most part, I can handle them pretty well. I lower my tone, try to reflect back to them what I hear them saying, and generally acknowledge their frustration. Once they feel "heard," I can make the point that needs to be made related to the issue. Rick recently had the unattractive privelege of dealing with one of these people. And I must say, he handled it really well. But it sure put us both in a foul mood. I suppose that is the rub. We shouldn't give this person the power to control our moods... but it just happens. By the same token, isn't it pleasant to deal with someone who is warm and friendly? Even if there is a disagreement, it can be handled professionally and respectfully. Today I'm thinking of the way my actions and words can affect other people. And I hope that people I do business with end up in a better mood BECAUSE of me. That's all. I'll return in the next few days to continue our journey in Guatemala. Until then, keep smiling. :)

No comments: