Sunday, February 8, 2009

Day 8 - Guatemala Update

And here is my Day 8 update from the Guatemala trip. Day 8 - Antigua We left our week-long home in Xela this morning. It was Saturday, and we were exhausted from the week. As we drove out of the city, I pondered the memories from the past week. What a gift I had been given! As long as I live, this week with the children of Xela will be one of the highlights! The drive back towards Guatemala City took us to Antigua. There were lots of beautiful sites along the mountainous road.
I've always heard of the quaint city of Antigua, and there was no disappointment here! This was going to be our fun day of R&R!
Lunch first... it was a welcome stop. I can't remember the name of the place, but it was awesome! We all piled around the table and relaxed. The food kept coming and coming. And on this day, the difference was that we had gelled (is that a word?) as a team. We had built so many memories the past week together that we were a FAMILY. And we were relaxing together as family.
Following lunch, we enjoyed the outdoor shopping at the market, and walking around the square also. It was a very quaint city. I would love to go back and spend a few days exploring the area. And of course, I couldn't stay out of the bookstore...
And I can't help but share this photo of the "lactating fountain..."
Dinner on this evening was a REAL treat! We went to Santa Domingo, a 16th century monastery. Here are a few pictures.
We dined in what felt like a "cave." It was part of the original monastery, and believe me when I say... it felt old. It was very nice relaxing in the candlelight ambiance with history literally all around us. We celebrated Guili's birthday and the mariochi band did their stuff! We had time later on to explore some of the grounds, and were glad to learn that we could return in the morning for a few minutes to see it in the daylight. Back to our hotel after dinner. Rick and I fell into bed looking forward to the next day. We would visit a Girl's Home in Antigua (the very one that Tod first met Kati at - now Tod and Robyn's daughter!) I just have to post this picture that I just saw today. Tod & Robyn, Tyler & Lindsey are in Guatemala for their 8 week stay so that Kati can join our family officially!

1 comment:

Sherry said...

Great pictures. Loved the fountain LOL!