Monday, October 27, 2008

Back to work

We're back from Ohio. What a Monday... Reminds me of that song by the Bangles "Just Another Manic Monday...." I didn't get the chance to upload any pictures of the weekend conference we attended. Actually, I only took 2 pictures. And the stories that would have to accompany the pictures wouldn't make much sense. Kind of those "you had to be there" stories... The conference was entitled "Change the World" and focused on thinking outside of the box for ways to LIVE our mission as Christ-followers. Church is not about how to get more people into the seats, but how to get more people out of their seats...serving others and sharing God's love. I've got lots of new ideas to process about what I can do differently in my life. And I'm so grateful for the freedom we have to "think outside of the box." We're in the minority here, living in this country, with the luxuries that we have. And speaking of freedom, our cemetery hosted the "Freedom Riders" today at a funeral of a retired serviceman. You'll note the American flags in the picture below... each flag was held by one of the Military Veteran motorcycle riders that surrounded the family at the funeral. The service featured full military honors, including the 21 gun salute, presentation of the flag, and taps playing in the background. After a quick google search, I learned lots about Taps, the haunting melody that has only 24 notes. I had no idea there were words to the song, but here is the first verse. Day is done, gone the sun, From the lake, from the hills, From the sky. All is well, safely rest, God is nigh. That's really beautiful. I can't seem to get the song out of my head.

No comments: