Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Pew-weee

I don't even have a picture to accompany this post, and if I did - I promise you wouldn't want to see it. It came to my attention recently that I have spoiled food in my fridge. Since we have practically been living at the church since last Wednesday, I have paid NO attention to tasks at home. I never realized how stinky a head of lettuce can be - or the icky residue it leaves behind. We're applying for FEMA to assist with getting a haz-mat team in to do the cleanup. Other than that - I have no complaints! Here's a summary of what's going on with the Browns right now: - Our Shelter downsized by about 20 this morning. That's really exciting! One family of 8 left to go back to Texas City because the Refineries are back online, and his job is calling him back to work. I'm not sure if their home is secure and safe, but it's good that he can get back to work. Another family headed back as well, but I'm unsure of their circumstances. - Our Shelter increased by 2 when one of the the aforementioned families departed WITHOUT their parakeets. We were housing them in a church-member's home, and when she brought them to the church this morning, the family had already departed. Guess they weren't too concerned about the birds. Or the eggs that are in the nest! Our pastor now has possession of the "evacuKEETS." - We're experiencing Shelter Fatigue, which is a term I was unaware of. But I'm glad there is a label for what I'm feeling. There are so many of us that have invested the last week of our lives into this project - and each of us is exhausted physically and mentally. As far as spiritual, I think I'm more hungry than ever. With the interruption of our regular routines, I have not been able to keep my daily time with God. That time usually comes early in the morning when the rest of the house is still sleeping. And I've just been too exhausted to try and keep my eyes open... With that said, I've still experienced God in a HUGE way the past 7 days. My duty has allowed me to observe each volunteer to become a servant and use their specific strength and gift. It's as if I've been in the audience of a huge symphony, where the bigger instruments right down to the smallest play their part in beautiful harmony. And God, as the conductor, has written a part for every single person. Tonight is our Wednesday night youth activities. It will be refreshing to hang out with the kids and experience a bit of normalcy. Well... that's if you can say teenagers have even have an ounce of normalcy. Compared to the chaos of the week, spending time with teens sounds like a vacation! Oh, here's a picture of Rick and Richard. Richard is one of the most polite and humble people I have met. I don't know when he'll go back home, but I know that we will miss him.

No comments: