Friday, September 12, 2008

Open for business: Red Cross Shelter # 09

Sorry I've been dark for a few days.
Wednesday was my last normal day. Because Thursday from 8am until after midnight we were at the church mobilizing Red Cross Shelter #09.
Our church is a safe zone sanctioned by Red Cross, and is housing Hurricane Ike evacuees. We have 29 guests as I type this, but our capicity is 50. I expect tomorrow we will fill the rest of our beds.
My role is "Volunteer Coordinator." It's been a BUSY and CHAOTIC and REWARDING journey so far. I've built more spreadsheets in the last 48 hours than I care to, and I've been more productive than 3 normal days at work. Funny how that works...
I'm exhausted. Can hardly believe anything I type makes sense... but I wanted to update you with what we've been doing.
Honestly, I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. I'm getting to know my church family so much better and to witness first hand the generosity and servant spirit amongst them. It truly is inspiring. Every person I've encountered today has been so willing to help... and every person has a different unique ability to contribute. This sounds "sunday-school-ish" to say, but I'm witnessing the body of Christ working. Everyone has their own unique way of helping and encouraging and doing. It's AWESOME.
I'm tired. Must get some rest because morning is going to come early.
Tomorrow we may ride out the hurricane at the Shelter, and there's lots to do to get ready. News reports indicate that our little area of East Texas is going to be hit hard, and we need to be prepared.
Oh, before I go - I wanted to mention how friendly and grateful our guests have been. Their life has been put on hold, and they have no idea what they will have to go home to when this storm is finished. But they are positive and loving and hopeful.
I want to be more like them.

No comments: