Saturday, September 6, 2008

Give Thanks

We attended an event last night for "One Man's Treasure." Our friends Kenny and Sharon invited us to attend, and we are so glad they did!
We learned that this group is dedicated to providing a wardrobe to men as they exit life in prison and enter the "free world." When a man leaves a Texas prison, he is faced with an almost impossible circumstances: Little money, only the clothes on his back, and a bus ticket. He is expected to make a new life for himself, and if he has no family or friends to help him, the chips are stacked against him.
"One Man's Treasure" was created to provide clothing to these men. Recipents of the program receive:
1. five shirts
2. two pairs of pants
3. one pair of shoes
4. five new pairs of underwear
5. five new pairs of socks
6. one t-shirt
7. one coat, one hat, & pair of gloves
At the event last night, the silent auction table was laden with hand-made goods crafted by the men at a nearby prison - Beto Unit, Tennesee Colony. We purchased the item pictured above, a beautiful wooden piece that says "Give Thanks."
What an incredible thing for an inmate to be able to say. Give Thanks.
I wonder, as he crafted this piece, did he think about things in his life that he is thankful for? What were the blessings he counted? What was his story, and why did he choose to craft these words out of wood?
Perhaps he has learned a lesson the hard way. One that I need to learn again and again... that when we look for things to be thankful for and give God the thanks, something within us begins to change. A seed within me sprouts, and it's watered when I choose to Give Thanks instead of grumble. It grows when I approach my day with gratitude and not selfishness. And it can bloom when, in the midst of stress and frustration, I choose to Give Thanks for what I have been given.
And what is that? Today, I Give Thanks for:
Saturday morning traditions (coffee and patio)
The morning crispness in the air brought about by the gentle changing of seasons
My brother and parents, both of whom I just spoke with on the phone, and they always makes me feel totally accepted and loved.
My husband - because he is the Prince Charming that I knew had to exist, somewhere... even when everyone else said that kind of love was only in fairy tales
My computer - even when it's slow and stubborn, it is one way I can connect to my friends and the world.
So there you have it. And in the words of Forrest Gump:
"That's all I have to say about that."

No comments: