Sunday, May 23, 2010

Kairos - I can't explain it.

I haven't written since returning from Kairos because, well, it's just hard to summarize an experience that changes your life.


In the picture above, Rick and I are outside one of the Kairos trailers. It reads "God's Special Time." Don't you love our huge name tags?

Rick and I have both spent the last week synthesizing what we learned, saw, felt and experienced. We have talked non-stop about the 42 men in white, our team, and the miracle of what happened within the walls of a maximum security prison - Beto Unit.

It is simply impossible to summarize it for you, so you'll just have to trust me when I say that God was there. He was already there when we arrived, and he was there when we left. Some of the hardest of the hard, the big bad guys, let their guard down long enough to realize that they are not un-redeemable. They are precious children of God. They are not alone.

You may not agree with me. Perhaps your life has been altered because of a crime, or you have lost someone dear because of a senseless act of violence. I have not been in your shoes, so I don't know how I would feel. I can only imagine the anger and hurt.  

So I can only speak for myself. For me, I was humbled. Serving someone else did that to me. When I was able to leave behind the questions of "if they deserve it" or "I wonder what they did?" the serving became true and pure. That's what it was about for me.

I want to thank each of you that prayed for us, baked cookies, gave money, or attended the Closing Service. Your participation made this weekend what it was. Honestly, it would not have happened without everyone's participation.

If you are interested, even in the slightest, about Kairos, PLEASE consider attending the next Closing Service in November. Rick and I are going to serve again, and for those of you that know my mother, she will be joining us this time as well!



No comments: