Wednesday, May 20, 2009

We're in!

I can't post a picture of the new place right now, but will later. Here is the moving truck (one of them) before pulling the door down on it and driving away. We are in, after the marathon move on Friday. Every day something else finds its rightful place in our new home, but there are still mounds of boxes to unpack. I'm exhausted, in a good way. That seems like an oxymoron, doesn't it? How can being exhausted be good? Yet I feel peaceful. Waking up in this old homestead somehow seems right. Happy and sad times played out over the last 50 years in this house, and 50 years before that as well! If these walls could speak... I wonder what I'd hear? Maybe my mom as a teenager, probably bickering with her brothers over something. I might hear Granny mediating the fight while whipping up something in the kitchen - the very kitchen that I ate a bowl of cereal in this morning! I wonder if she liked the way that corner cabinet door is connected to the other cabinet (because I'm not sure I like it!) I might even hear Granddad sending the kids out to dig up bull-nettles in the pasture, or to feed the cows, or to run something over to Mawmaw and Pawpaw's house next door. I guess what I like about this house is that it makes me feel more connected to my heritage. And that's a good feeling.

No comments: