Friday, February 12, 2010

Snow....the good and the bad

SNOW!  Lots of it, too!

It started yesterday, falling down in fat, wet flakes.


And today, we awoke to 8 inches in our backyard!


While I headed out to take pictures in the cemetery, Rick suited up to head out to the water company. All 400 homes on our water system  are without power....and water. Ugh. The good and the bad of a beautiful snowfall!
He's been out there all day, waiting on the electric company to restore power to the plants. While he waits, he's making the best of the time by fixing some line breaks while there is no water pressure.

But before he left, my hubby shoveled the walk for me. I think this was the first time in his life to have to shovel snow!  It reminded me of the 4 winters I survived Chicago...
                                  
The Park was beautiful with the snow glistening on our big, beautiful, 50 year old trees.
                                 
But I was hard pressed to really enjoy the beauty after seeing the toll that this snowfall took on these majestic oaks.  If you look closely in the picture below, you'll see a glimpse of some of the branches that were ripped off of these special trees. "Oaklawn" is not named "Oaklawn" for nothing, you know. So when something hurts our trees, it is especially painful to all of us!


I did, however, get a chance to take out my frustration on dad with a good old fashioned snowball fight.


And finally, here is a picture of our farmhouse. It's survived decades of winters... so I suppose it will survive one more. But I think I'm ready for warm weather now!

No comments: