Friday, September 11, 2009

Completely Random Thoughts

I've not posted lately, because I haven't had a single minute to sit and "think" about what I want to share! So this morning, I decided to post some random thoughts, as that's how my life has been lately. 1. Top of the list. Remembering the victims and the heroes today. I can't get my mind around it, still, after 8 years. 2. The shuttle didn't land yesterday due to weather. Trying for another attempt today. I wouldn't have been able to watch it yesterday due to a meeting, but I can tonight. Yipee! 3. I've been reading this book by Richard Stearnes, CEO of WorldVision. It is totally rocking my world. I'm being challenged to really look deeply into the issues surrounding poverty and accept responsibility for fighting for equality and justice. If 100 jetliners crashed today (sorry for the reference to 9/11) and killed 26,000 people, don't you think America would do something? We wouldn't rest until it was prevented from happening again. But then tomorrow, it happens all over again. Well, it is happening. Yesterday more than 26,000 children died of preventable causes related to poverty. And tomorrow it will happen all over again. And many of us think it's just terrible, then turn the page in our newspaper to read about something else. Why? I think it's because it's not OUR children. OUR children got their vaccines, drink clean water, have enough to eat. But here's the thing: Equality. These other children didn't get the chance to have their vaccines, drink clean water and have enough to eat. It's not their fault. Don't you agree that God's heart breaks for each of them, just as much as if it was our own child? It's our job, as over 2000 verses in the Bible advocate, to fight for justice and equality, to feed the poor, to take care of those that have not. As you can see, I'm feeling passionate about this. I want to do something. You know the story of the starfish, right? http://www.starrbrite.com/starfish.html Even if it is small, I can make a difference. You can too. 4. Sorry about the deep thoughts. No I'm not. 5. Having lunch with my good friend Stacy today. Since we moved from the Lake area, I don't see her as much. 6. Since we moved from the Lake area to Athens, we don't have to drive 30 miles to work everyday. That's great! But do you know that this week, and all of next week, I have to drive to the Lake area for one meeting or another every day? Not a biggie, just didn't suspect that much traveling. Rick actually drove over there 3 times in one day this week! 7. Found $100 cash that was lost! It belongs to a dear friend, and I think we made her day when we told her! 8. Ok, here's something random. Last night, I watched Nancy Drew, the movie. Very cute! Makes me want to start wearing my penny loafers again. And then this morning, I had a notification that Nancy Drew was following me on Twitter. How weird is that??? 9. Dog needs a bath and haircut. Like I said, random is the word of the day. 10. Ladies, put your makeup in the freezer overnight to kill the thousands of germs that live on it! Learned that on GMA today!

1 comment:

Chris said...

Always love the starfish story and I've got a quote to compliment it. I recently started volunteering at an organization called Women for Women that links female sponsors with women in war-torn countries and provides education, job skills and a microcredit loan to begin a business upon graduating from the program (details on WFW website). This is on their office wall: "One woman can change anything. Many women can change everything." To mix the metaphors: Saving one starfish is wonderful and we do the best we can, but we are fighting a system here. If enough of us work together, though, maybe we can prevent the tide from washing up all the starfish in the first place.

I heard Stearnes speak at the Mobilization to End Poverty last spring--including Matthew 25 (RESV)--and was impressed. I haven't read his book yet, but it is on my list. I don't know if Stearnes mentions it in the book, but another related concept you might be interested in if you aren't already familiar with it is structural violence. I can provide you with some academic literature on that topic if you are interested.

I am always excited to hear of someone interested--and acting--on these types of justice issues, especially when it is an old friend.